Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Nancy Sherwood's Quiche

Blogging about mac n cheese and deviled eggs reminded me of another egg and cheese recipe that is really good. This one did not come from my family, but from a co-worker years ago.

In the late 70s and early 80s, I worked in Raleigh NC at Alphanumeric Systems, Inc - a word processing company. This was before personal computers were invented.

Really.

Alphanumeric was a start up company with 3 people - a salesman, a repairman and a woman who did everything else.

Alphanumeric sold and repaired computers and trained people to use a powerful word processor called CPT. CPT didn't just do word processing, but could also handle math calculations and telecommunications.

In 1979, I had graduated from UNC-CH with a degree in American Studies and I worked for a Lt Governor candidate. We used CPT equipment to maintain mailing lists and do other organizational tasks. Unfortunately, my Lt Governor candidate did not win. On the bright side, I was the only person in North Carolina who knew how to use CPT equipment and didn't have a job. So, Alphanumeric hired me to help demonstrate and sell CPT and to train people to use CPT equipment. This was a great job because not many days were the same. I met people in all kinds of offices all over the Eastern part of the state. I liked the people I worked with and there was always a 'next new thing' in the technology which made it really interesting.

CPT was headquartered in Minneapolis and had offices all over the world at that time. Now and then, I traveled somewhere to learn how to use the 'next new thing', but usually CPT sent a trainer to our office in Raleigh.

Nancy Sherwood was one of those CPT trainers. Nancy and I were both in our 20s, enjoying our lives in the fast paced technology world, but as always talk usually got around to cooking. I haven't seen her in nearly thirty years, but I remember her because she gave me a great recipe for Quiche that I still use all the time. The recipe is handwritten. In pencil. On notebook paper. For 2 people who were 'experts' in word processing I thought this was funny, so I have kept her original handwritten copy all these years.

I have made this recipe a million different ways, and it is always good. Feel free to experiment.

Nancy Sherwood's Quiche

1 Pie Crust (I use the Pillsbury one that you just unroll)

Layer the following into the pie crust:

1/3 cup or so of Raw Onion - sliced or chopped
1/2 pound of Whatever - (cooked ham or chicken, spinach, peppers, broccolli, etc)
I can still see Nancy saying 'whatever'. But it is true. You can put any kind of cooked meat or raw vegetable or combination in there and it comes out great.
1 1/2 cups packed shredded cheese - any kind or several different kinds mixed

I don't measure the ingredients above but just layer it in the pie crust. But I do measure this part:

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonaise

Mix the eggs, milk and mayo and pour over the rest. Add a little more milk if it seems too dry. Don't go overboard. The cheese will add alot of moisture and salt. I do add some fresh pepper if I haven't put something hot like jalapenos in there.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until it doesn't shake. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Don't overcook this or any egg/cheese dish.

So, Carol reminded me to use my leftover Easter ham for quiche. In the fridge, I had ham, onion, red pepper, sharp cheddar and monterey jack with jalapenos. This made three quiches which I put in the freezor. Thanks Nancy Sherwood wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment