Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter Flowers


My friend, Carol, who is also my first blog follower, suggested that I not limit the blogging to cooking from the garden, but also to blog about all kinds of ways that we use plants during the year. Carol and I have been walking together for over 10 years and every now and then over those years, she has given me some pretty good advice. I liked her advice about the plants because she knows that fresh arrangements are something that I really enjoy and place a priority on doing throughout the year.

Several years ago, when my boys were at Jefferson Elementary School, I read a book by Dr. Andrew Weil called "Eight Weeks to Better Health". This is still a good one, that I recommend for anyone. Dr. Weil gives eight tips for living a healthy lifestyle - body, mind and spirit - starting each of the eight new tips one week at a time. One of the first weeks, he advises to keep fresh plants in the house. The purpose is to stay grounded in the moment and to acknowledge the beauty that is all around. Living in the present and having an attiude of gratitude are among Dr. Weil's main points.

Recently, my sister, Cindy, reminded me that my first grade teacher, Mrs. Elene Martin, brought something fresh from the yard into the house everyday. She said it could be an acorn or a flower, anything from nature, but the key was to do it everyday.

In North Carolina, we have four very distinct seasons, so bringing something fresh into the house everyday can truly be a creative adventure!

So, this is Easter weekend and my favorite Easter tradition is at hand. For many years, my sons, my husband and I have enjoyed the Easter Cross at Shelby Presbyterian Church. They put an old rugged cross outside of the church and it is a barren, sad cross. On Easter Sunday Morning - very early in the morning - people from all over (members and non-members) bring plants of all kinds to put into the cross. The people do not necessarily see each other coming and going, and you can put your plants in the cross anywhere you wish. There are no rules to follow, no limitations, no finger wagging that this flower, or vine, or any kind of plant doesn't belong beside that one. By mid morning the flowers are accumulating and by noon the cross is no longer barren and sad, but totally ablaze with a variety of colors, shapes and sizes. It is a beautiful reminder of the hope of spring and new growth. But, to me it is such a visual reminder of the message of UNITY that Jesus taught. It also reminds me of a phrase that my Dad heard from a Jewish rabbi on a trip to Israel - we should be a "symphonic harmony of diversity". All of the plants belong on the cross and all add something unique to the total outcome.

So, last year, I bought several blocks of oasis and some floral moss and fashioned a very crude cross. Then I found an old pitcher that came from my grandmother's farm. Alma Harrill Hunt was my father's mother and if there ever was a humble Christian it was 'Nanny'. She practiced a quiet and profound faith.

Easter 2009, we had a house full for Easter. David and I have large extended families and many of them were coming for Easter Sunday lunch. There were also five Wofford College football players who had come home with my son for the holiday. The boys started putting flowers into the cross late on Saturday night. My friend and neighbor, Beth, brought some things from her yard early Sunday morning. Then as members of both sides of our family arrived more flowers came with them. I remember being amazed at the variety of things people brought and how they arranged them throughout the morning. Sometimes I missed who did what and that made it even more fun. Nothing judgemental, nothing tight or constricted. Just a free celebration of the joy of being a part of something beautiful.

I have brought out our 'old rugged cross' in Nanny's pitcher and placed it on our front porch. As friends and family come and go this Easter weekend, the excitement and joy of watching the cross go from rugged to a beautiful 'symphonic harmony of diversity' is my favorite Easter tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment