Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Garden is in (Bruschetta recipe)



The garden is in! Okay, I bought a couple of things yesterday that still need a place to grow. That's how it always is with a garden.

In the garden, there are tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, 1 eggplant and 1 squash plant. Lettuce is still growing but won't last into hot weather. I pulled out the last of the onions to make room for everything else.

In the herb garden, there is freshly planted basil, cilantro, and parsley. Rosemary, lavender, oregano, spearmint and chocolate mint come back every year. We have a meyer lemon and a persian lime tree planted in pots. I move them into the kitchen during the winter, and back outside now. Last year we had at least 6 lemons and 4 limes. The flower on the citrus trees smell so sweet I always hear the song lyrics 'lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet'.

We have 2 varieties of tomatoes, plus the tommy toes called Sweet 100s that I found yesterday and still need to get into the ground.

Tommy Toes are good just to pop off the vine and eat right then and there. Or slice in half and put in just any kind of salad or pasta. Better boys are best for tomato sandwiches, hamburgers, or just sliced and sprinkled with basil and olive oil. A tomato sandwich can heal a broken heart. I love them on white or wheat bread, but there is nothing better than to put a fresh tomato slice in one of Mama's homemade biscuits.

Romas are best for most italian dishes. Next to Southern comfort food, I love Italian food best. I have always loved Italian flavors and, after several trips to Italy with cute high school students, anything Italian brings back a flood of happy memories. Bruschetta is my number one favorite Italian dish and thankfully David and the boys love it too.

I don't remember the first time I tasted bruschetta, but I remember the first time I made it at home. David's dad, we called him 'D', loved to cook and loved to eat. We talked recipes alot. Over the years, he gave us numerous cookbooks, newspaper articles and cooking magazines that broadened my horizons about cooking. My favorite is an Italian Cookbook that he gave us called 'Cucina Amore' by Nick Stellino. Cucina Amore means Kitchen Love. Couldn't be a more perfect name for this cookbook.

'Cucina Amore' came with a cd of Italian songs that said 'music to dine by'. I used it as 'music to learn to make bruschetta by'. It includes some Italian songs and singers that I had never heard of, but they are some passionate folks, those Italians. You really don't need to understand Italian to get the jist of the songs. They did throw in one that most every American has heard - Dean Martin singing "That's Amore!" It can really create an atmosphere when you are listening to the Italian songs and the kitchen is smelling like garlic, olive oil and fresh tomatos with basil. I love this cookbook. It transports me to Italy, and it also makes me think of 'D' and his passion for food and for sharing cooking ideas.


Bruschetta Al Pomodoro E Basilico
From 'Cucina Amore' by Nick Stellino
(translation - toasted bread with tomatoes and basil)

Recipe says it serves 4, but that would be a stretch at our house! I really don't measure these things anymore, but you might want to starting out.

6 Roma tomatoes, diced (romas are important because they are firm and not so juicy, but I have used other kinds and it works if you strain off some of the juice)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 more garlic cloves, whole, but peeled
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (buy the best, most fruity you can get)
2 1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 Slices Italian bread, sliced 3/4 inch thick
2 Tbsp grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (if you are going to the trouble to use fresh ingredients, get real cheese and grate it yourself)

Toss tomatoes, chopped garlic, oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper. Mix well and let stand at room temperature for at least 20 minutes to let the flavors mingle. You can store in fridge for up to 3 hours, but after that the tomatoes will be too soft.

Toast bread slices, then remove and rub with the whole garlic cloves until the cloves are too small to hold with your fingers.

Put bread slices on ovenproof serving dish (I usually use your basic cookie sheet) and top with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and then broil until cheese melts. Serve immediately.

Like quiche and quesadillas, you can put most anything on top of toasted garlic bread and it is bruschetta with whatever. My friends, Becky and Ginny do a great asparagus bruschetta. So, it is always okay to branch out, but there's something about classic bruschetta with fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment