Saturday, June 18, 2011

Family Time - Three Cheese, Tomato and Basil Panini




Besides Cooking School the past week, we have shared a lot of family time. One meal we didn't cook was an early Father's Day get together with Daddy at the Shelby Cafe. Breakfast is a favorite meal and we all like to go to the Cafe, so Libby sent out an email that anyone who could work it out could meet at the Cafe at 8:30 Tuesday morning. Tuesday morning at 8:30 about 14 of us came to breakfast. It was relaxing to not be cooking. And it was a joy to be together.

And talk about joy. We also shared family time with Quinn and Mary Katherine during the last week. The boys dashed out for a float for MK and I shared some quality floating time with her one day. Actually, she liked being held in the pool better than sitting in the float and I think I liked it better too. She is sweet and independent and curious and she notices everything. Watching her notice things is mesmerizing.

There were a lot of birds in the backyard and since Mary Katherine couldn't tell me not to, I started singing about birds. It was one of the songs that we used to sing in Lattimore. We had a Mitch Miller record with the words to every song printed on the album cover. We learned all the words to Mitch's songs and it's amazing how you can remember words to songs years later. So I started singing:

"When the red red robin comes bob bob bobbing along -- ALONG!
There'll be no more sobbing when he starts throbbing his own -- sweet SONG!
WAKE up WAKE up you sleepy head, GET up Get up Get outta bed
Cheer up Cheer Up the sun is red
LIVE LOVE LAUGH AND BE HAPPY!

What if I am blue, still I'm walking through fields -- of FLOWERS!
I'm just a kid again, doing what I did again
For HOURS and HOURS!
I'm just a kid again, doing what I did again
SING-ING a Song....
When the red red robin comes Bob bob Bobbing along!"

I really was just a kid again. There are places in the song when you use a lot of GUSTO and Mary Katherine was all in on those parts. No surprise that she understands drama. It was so fun having MK in town. It was amazing to just observe as she explored everywhere and noticed everything around her then made eye contact and grinned.

Quinn, Amanda, Mary Katherine and I spent some quality floating time later on and enjoyed fresh peaches. Inside and outside of the pool. I didn't know that peaches will float. Or that a peach can make a really great pool toy. I also didn't know that Webb's has over 30 varieties of peaches. The ones coming in now are amazingly sweet and I was glad Amanda brought some to share.

Since we stayed outside so long, I decided to fix Paninis for lunch. Paninis are a big part of our Lunchtime Cooking School. You can put just about anything on just about any kind of bread and in 3-5 minutes you will have an awesome sandwich. We got a panini press and a recipe book for Christmas and have loved using it. The boys have gotten into it as well and they have designed some real masterpieces.

But when Quinn, Amanda and MK were here I wanted to make a Three Cheese, Tomato and Fresh Basil Panini on Sourdough Bread. So I layered a little Monterey Jack Cheese with Jalapeno, Mozzarella and Saga Blue with Brie on the bread. Then I added Fresh Tomato Slices and Lots of Fresh Basil. I brushed the bread with Tuscan Flavored Olive Oil and loaded it into the pannini press. In less than 5 minutes we were enjoying a crusty, fresh panini. And enjoying family time.

No comments:

Post a Comment