Monday, September 27, 2010

Sunday Morning - Shrimp and Grits




Sunday morning after the big family wedding was a good time to rest and reflect on the weekend.

After most any event, we have what Daddy calls a debriefing. This is a term from his service in the army during WWII and the Korean War. Daddy was stationed as a dental surgeon at Ft. Bragg and wound up with the rank of Major. I mentioned this to the boys the other day and someone suggested they call him The Honorable Major Doctor Hunt. I think they will just stick with Grandpa.

So we took this past Sunday morning easy, having coffee, reading the newspaper, then reading all the other news online and debriefing about the weekend events. In a Hunt party debriefing we discuss what worked and what we might want to change for next time. We have all learned a lot about hosting a party from this process over the years.

One benefit after a party is that the yard, decorations and flowers still make the house feel festive. It was relaxing to look through the window and watch the rain falling on the grass. After the drought and heat we have had, I could almost hear the grass giggling in the rain. I checked the roses that Libby arranged for the dining room and they have opened more and will still be pretty for a while.

On the morning after a big event, we will most likely want to ease into a late breakfast or early lunch. So, after the Friday night rehearsal party, I had saved a little of the shrimp knowing that Sunday morning I could make a quick and easy Shrimp and Grits. I have several recipes for Shrimp and Grits and it is good alot of different ways, but on a rainy Sunday morning after a big weekend, I love to do it the easy way.

While David and the boys caught up on ESPN news, it only took about 20 minutes to get this meal ready. I start with making grits according to the package but I do add a little bit of garlic powder. In another pan, I fix the shrimp mixture and then I have a plate of grated cheese. When it is all done, I let everybody make their own plate layering grits, shrimp mixture and cheese. Sometimes we put a little bacon, country ham or sausage into the shrimp mixture and sometimes we have it on the side so everyone can fix it just like they want it. It can work with most any kind of grits and most any kind of cheese. So make it easy on yourself and use whatever you have on hand.

Easy Shrimp and Grits

Grits:

Cook Grits according to package.
For the four of us, I use 4 cups of water to one cup of grits. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Shrimp Sauce:

In a saucepan, put a little olive oil. Add garlic powder and leftover cooked shrimp, tails removed. (you can do this with uncooked shrimp if you aren't using leftovers)
Sprinkle a little red cayenne pepper over the shrimp. This always make me think of the funny scene in Mrs. Doubtfire when Robin Williams pours on the red pepper and says "Hot Jambalaya!" I try not to use a lethal amount of red pepper.

Add the following and since everything is already cooked just stir till heated:
1 can of Rotel (the wonder ingredient)
1 can of Petite Diced Tomatoes
Add a little chicken broth

If you have bacon, sausage or country ham, you can add this in now. On this Sunday morning, I fried a little sausage and let everyone crumble it on their own if they wanted it.

Cheese:

Grate cheese. On Sunday morning, I used two kinds of cheddar, but use whatever you have and it will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment